Your time in Macau wouldn’t be complete without a side trip to Hong Kong or vice versa. In fact, it has been widely popular that an itinerary would consist of visiting the other city. Macau and Hong Kong were formerly governed by Portuguese and British colonies, respectively, until their sovereignty were transferred back to China. The influences left by the colonizers have remained to be a part of their culture and has continued to be an integral part of their tourism.
There are currently two ways to go to Hong Kong from Macau and vice versa: By Sky Shuttle (Helicopter), which is by the way, uber expensive, and by Ferry Boat. Ferry service is the most popular mode of transport and it takes only an hour to go from one city to another. It would take couple more years before we have another mode of transport, so, for those who have sea sickness, hang on there for a little while.
Macau has two ferry terminals, Macau Outer Harbour that is located in Macau Peninsula and Taipa Ferry Terminal situated on Taipa Island. Both ferry terminals are operating almost 24 hours to Hong Kong and the fare is almost the same. Turbo Jet (red) ferries depart from Macau Ferry Terminal, while Cotai Water Jet (blue) ferries embarked and disembarked from Taipa Ferry Terminal.
Hong Kong, on the other hand, has four ferry terminals: HK-Macau Ferry Terminal in Sheung Wan (Hong Kong Island), China Ferry Terminal in Kowloon, Tuen Mun Ferry Terminal in New Territories (operating only to and from Macau Outer Harbour) and Hong Kong Airport.
Almost big hotels in Macau have free shuttle service to both ferry terminals, so, forget about taking taxi and take advantage of the complimentary shuttles. Just be mindful of their operation hours.
Schedule of Ferries:
Taipa Ferry Terminal to Hong Kong and vice versa
For updated ferry schedule and fare, visit the Cotai Water Jet website: LINK
Things to Remember:
- Tickets can be purchased in ferry terminals, box-office and concierge counters of hotels, travel agencies and online thru their respective websites.
- Visas should be presented upon arrival if necessary.
- You must be at the ferry terminal atleast 15 minutes before departure, except those who are going to Hong Kong International Airport (HKIA).
- If you are going to HKIA, please refer to this LINK.
- For those who are holding ferry tickets, please double check the ferry service you are taking and make sure you are going to the right ferry terminal.
- Passengers can take the earlier sailings shown on their tickets provided that there are available seats.
- Promotions are available, just visit the following link: Cotai Water Jet Promotion
- Shuttle service provided by hotels is not 24 hours. Visit hotels’ websites for more information.
- Only from Macau Ferry Terminal there is ferry going to Tuen Mun.
- Buy ferry tickets in advance especially if weekends and public holidays.