I’ve been hearing a lot of good words about Singapore, not only about its rich tourist destinations but also about its disciplined people and its very clean environment. This diminutive city, smaller than Hong Kong has a lot to offer for tourists and is commonly on the list of every traveler’s “places to go to.” Just like Hong Kong, Singapore has one of the most efficient Metro Rapid Transit or Mass Rapid Transport (MRT) systems in the world and is one of the cleanest cities in the world too.
I, together with my lifetime travel buddy, my wife, to satisfy our curiosity went to Singapore in a month of May, when the temperature is at its highest and when everyone would rather go to one of the beaches in Phuket or in the Philippines. We went to Malaysia first, and after two days we headed to Singapore via direct bus as we both fancy long bus journey, and also as a valid excuse for being thrifty. We’ve checked in at Marina Bay Sands for one night only and only for one reason, the incredible “infinity pool”, the following night we tried backpacking for experience just like what frequent travelers do.
Top Attractions in Singapore
1. Infinity Pool at Marina Bay Sands
Getting Here: Bayfront MRT Station (CE1, Exit B, C, D, E) along thr Circle Line Extension
Opening Hours: 6am to 11pm, Daily
Admission Price: Available only to guests of Marina Bay Sands Hotel
2. Gardens by the Bay
Getting Here: Via the Circle Line or Downtown Line, Alight at Bayfront MRT Station (CE1/DT16), then take Exit B and follow the underground linkway and cross the Dragonfly Bridge or Meadow Bridge
Opening Hours: Bay South Outdoor Gardens: 5am to 2am
Admission Price: S$12 to S$20
3. Sentosa Island
Getting Here: By Cable Car: HarbourFront MRT Station, take Exit B and go to Harbourfront Tower II; opens from 845 to 10pm; adults, S$29 and S$18, child.
By Foot: HarbourFront MRT Station and proceed to Vivo City Shopping Mall then to Sentosa Boardwalk; opens 24 hours.
4. Universal Studios
Getting Here: Take North-East line or Circle line to HarbourFront Station and take Exit E to Vivo City and go to Level 3 and take the Sentosa Express and alight 1 stop at Waterfront Station.
Opening Hours: 10am to 6pm, Daily
Admission Price: One-day pass, S$74 for adult and S$54 for kids
5. Merlion Park
Getting Here: Go to Raffles Place MRT Station (NS26/EW14) and take Exit H
6. Singapore Flyer
Getting Here: Go to Promenade Station (Circle Line, CC4) and take Exit A and look out for blue pedestrian signs to Singapore Flyer.
Opening Hours: 830am to 1030pm
Admission Price: S$33 for adults and S$21
- Make use of the MRT to go to different tourist spots.
- Infinity Pool is a must for a spectacular view of the city.
- Do not chew gum.
- If you are going to Sentosa, take the cable car one way, and Sentosa express the other way.
- If you are non-native speakers, do not worry, Singaporeans speak good English.
- Try to visit atleast one museum, Singapore is also known for it.
- Do not miss the Transformers ride in Universal Studios, it totally blew our mind. It was amazing.
- Watch the Waterworld in Universal Studios.
- Try to find some food court, foods are cheaper there.
- You’ve never been to Singapore if you haven’t eaten and savor their local dish “laksa.”
- Bring lots of water.
- Take the obligatory picture with the Merlion statue.
- Try the water taxi even once.
- Did i mention not to miss the Transformers ride in Universal Studios?
- Take a night walk around Marina Bay Sands to Gardens by the Bay.
- Try the Tiger beer.
- Do not litter.
- Go shopping at Orchard street.
- Enjoy the Nightlife.
- Enjoy Singapore.