Hong Kong, like Macau is a Special Administrative Region of People’s Republic of China and one of the most traveled destinations in the world. While Macau has been colonized by Portuguese, Hong Kong used to be under the administration of British government. Hong Kong is home to tallest and most advanced skyscrapers in the world and known for its diverse tourist destinations. You can’t help but be amazed by its magnificent skyline, one of, if not, the best skylines in the world. Seeing the stunning skyline is enough reason for people to come to Hong Kong and for some to come over and over again. You sure wouldn’t get tired admiring the view.
Hong Kong is very tourist friendly, their Metro system is one of the most efficient systems in the world that makes it convenient for every tourist destination in the city to reach. The city has a lot to offer that it is impossible to tour all of its tourist spots on a two or three-day tour. Given that your vacation is limited and that you won’t be able to visit everything, it is imperative that you prioritize the best places to see and experience. And sometimes it is better to leave out some places to see so you have reasons to come back.
Top Attractions in Hong Kong
1. Ocean Park
Getting Here: Take MTR to MTR Admiralty Station, proceed to exit B then on your right take the Ocean Park Bus. UPDATE: There is now a direct MTR to Ocean Park from MTR Admiralty Station.
Operation Hours: Mondays to Fridays: 1030am to 630pm; Saturdays and Sundays: 10am to 7pm
Admission Price: Adults: HKD345; Child: (3-11) HKD173
2. Hong Kong Disneyland
Getting Here: Take MTR (orange line) to Sunny Bay Station then take the direct Hong Disneyland express train.
Operation Hours: Mondays to Fridays: 1030am to 8pm; Saturdays and Sundays: 10am to 9pm
Admission Price: Adult: HKD499; child (3-11) HKD355
3. Ngong Ping 360, Ngong Ping Village, Big Buddha, Wisdom Path, and Po Lin Monastery
Getting Here: Take MTR Station (orange line) to Tung Chung Station, then take a cable car to Ngong Ping Village, Big Buddha, Po Lin Monastery and Wisdom Path
Operation Hours: (Cable Car) Weekdays: 10am to 6pm; Weekends and Public Holidays: 9am to 630pm
Cable Car Price: Round Trip: (Standard Cabin) Adults: HKD165; Child: HKD85. (Crystal Cabin) Adults: HKD255; Child: HKD175. Single Trip: (Standard Cabin) Adults: HKD115; Child: HKD60. (Crystal Cabin) Adults: HKD180; Child: HKD125
4. Victoria Peak
Getting Here: From MTR Central Station, take Exit J2, walk your way up to Charter Garden, and to Garden Road until you see the Peak Tram Station. And then take the Peak Tram to reach The Peak.
Operation Hours: Peak Tram: Daily; 7am to 12mn, every 15 minutes. Sky Terrace 428: Mondays to Fridays: 10am to 11pm; Saturdays, Sundays and Public Holidays: 8am to 11pm
Ticket Price: Peak Tram: Adults: (Return) HKD40, (Single) HKD28; Child: (Return) HKD18, (Single) HKD11. Peak Tram Sky Pass (Peak Tram and Sky Terrace 428): Adults: (Return) HKD83, (Single) HKD71, Child: (Return) HKD40, (Single) HKD33
5. The Hong Kong Observation Wheel
Getting Here: MTR Hong Kong Station and then exit at Exit A2 or MTR Central Station, Exit A and walk ’til you reach Man Yiu Street
Operation Hours: Daily: 10am to 11pm
Ticket Price: Adult: HKD100; Child: HKD70
1. Utilize the MTR. Hong Kong is big but if you know the nearest MTR to your place of destination chances of getting lost is slim. Taking MTR will save you a lot of time too.
2. Since MTR is your mode of transportation, it is better to buy the “tourist day pass” especially if you are staying in HK for one or two days. It will save you a lot of money.
3. For a short trip, just choose one from Disneyland and Ocean Park to visit, for visiting either one takes up one whole day.
4. Disneyland appeals to younger people especially girls, while Ocean Park appeals more to older crowd and men. If you are touring with kids, Disneyland is the place for you.
5. Take the peak tram before it gets dark to better appreciate the view.
6. If it’s foggy, going to Victoria Peak may not be a good decision.
7. Take the cable car one way, the other way take the bus. Taking the cable car can provide good and satisfying view, but taking the bus proves to provide the same. You will be saving a lot too.
8. Do not forget to go to Wisdom Path.
9. Try the korean squid in Ocean Park.
10. Make sure to catch the Penguin Show at Ocean Park.
11. If you have extra time and enough budget, upon reaching the Victoria Peak, visit Madam Tussauds opens from 10am to 10pm.